Beat the Festive Flab
You’ve had one too many Christmas puddings (not to mention those sumptuous biscuits you’ve devoured in no time) and it’s not even Christmas yet. To save yourself from having to buy a new Christmas outfit, try these four easy exercises you can do in the comfort of your own home, without the need for fancy gym accessories.
Attempt this exercise with care — we’d advise you to not do this on a full turkey-filled stomach. You won’t feel great and it’ll probably do more damage than good. However, once you’ve let the turkey and sprouts digest, this is a fantastic core exercise that will help you achieve a flatter tummy in no time.
- Lie flat on your back, hands interlaced behind your head and neck.
- Bend your left knee and bring it into a 90-degree position, then raise your right straight leg just off the ground.
- With your right elbow, touch the left knee and visa-versa.
- You will look like you’re riding a bike on your back in mid-air.
- Cycle for 30 kicks and repeat for three sets.
Probably one of the best exercises you can do to keep the flab at bay, especially during this very indulgent festive period. Planks help you to build strength in your core, upper and lower body, giving you a full body workout in under a minute!
- Start by getting into a press-up position.
- Bend your elbows and rest your weight onto your forearms, instead your hands.
- Your body should form a straight line, from your shoulders to ankles.
- Engage your core by sucking your belly button into your spine.
- Hold this position for one minute, and repeat this set three times.
This quick and simple arm exercise can be done anywhere with a ledge and takes no time at all. The tricep dip is an arm exercise that helps strengthen and tone your arms without them becoming too bulky. Instead, they’ll look strong, lean and defined.
- Start by facing away,with your back against the block and hands gripping the edge of the block.
- Step your feet forward until your legs are straight, with only your heels touching the floor.
- Now your body should be in a L/V shape.
- Keeping your pelvis pushed up and glutes tight, begin to bend your elbows until your triceps are at an 90-degree angle.
- Push your arms back up till straight and repeat 12 times for three sets.
If you want a booty like Beyonce and legs like a Victoria’s Secret model, then this is the exercise for you! Whether you do a couple while waiting for the kettle to boil, or attempt them in the gym with weights, squats will become your new best ‘booty’ friend.
- Place your feet apart at shoulder width, and hands in front at a 90-degree angle.
- Lean your weight back into the back of your feet.
- Begin to bend your knees, keeping your back straight and knees never going over your toes.
- Bend to a 90-degree angle/table-top position, then push back up to a straight leg.
- Be careful not to strain your knees and back doing this exercise. Repeat 12 times for three sets.